In September 1913, just east of the Los Angeles River, a small medical clinic opened as a teaching hospital with medical students who had only two years of theoretical classroom education.
The clinic, located on 1st Street, was as humble as could be, and was founded by what is known today as Loma Linda University. Despite working with secondhand medical instruments in a cramped facility, students were dedicated and engaged as they learned about modern medicine by examining patients.
Little did the founders and students know that the fledgling Seventh-day Adventist Clinic they established would become one of the finest hospitals and a Los Angeles fixture of landmark proportions in an area that would years later be named Boyle Heights.
From those humble beginnings, came White Memorial Medical Center, which this year is proudly celebrating 100 years of its commitment to caring, serving and healing.
Today, located on Cesar Chavez Avenue, a few blocks from where the small clinic opened, White Memorial is an award-winning 353-bed acute care community and teaching hospital, staffed by 462 physicians, 86 residents, 1,879 employees and nearly 700 volunteers. The not-for-profit hospital has served local families for generations and is an active part of the community.
Click here to read the entire article via EGP News.